5 Delicious gifts from the kitchen
PUMPKIN APPLE MUFFINS WITH CRUMB TOPPING
Yields: 12 (serving size: 1 muffin)
Delicious and full of fiber and protein, these sweet muffins are the perfect start to a holiday morning!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups chopped, peeled apple bits
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease or flour 12 muffin cups or line with foiled liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin, eggs, and oil until well blended.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients, blending until moistened. Fold in apples. Spoon equal amounts of batter into muffin cups.
- In small bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, and spices. Sprinkle small amount of crumb topping on top of each filled muffin cup.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool.
Chocolate Candy Cane Pretzels
Delicious and kid-friendly, these treats combine the savory and sweet flavors for a mouth-watering gift for all your friends and neighbors! For an added twist, try sprinkling the chocolate covered pretzels with coconut or chopped nuts.
- 3 cups mini pretzel sticks
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped candy cane candies
- If you can’t find crushed candy cane bits in your baking aisle, simply place whole candy canes in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Place the candy cane pieces in a small bowl.
- Using either a double boiler or your microwave, melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips until smooth. If using a microwave, heat chocolate in short bursts of 20 seconds – checking often to prevent burning. Stir chocolate thoroughly to transfer heat and melt all chips.
- Dip pretzels one-by-one into melted chocolate being careful not to burn your fingers. You can use tongs or a fork to dip the pretzels as well. Lay dipped pretzels on a baking pan covered in parchment or wax paper.
- Before chocolate has cooled on pretzels, sprinkle with candy cane pieces.
- Allow chocolate-coated pretzels with candy cane pieces to cool thoroughly.
- Place in cellophane bags or metal tins to give to friends and neighbors!
>>>Up next: Cinnamon bun cookies